President Elect Trump has picked Betsy Devos for Education Secretary. There has been a huge backlash from educators across the nation because of Devos's background and position on public education. The following are ten consistently mentioned reasons she'd be a disastrous choice.
From Education Votes:
1. Spent millions lobbying for laws that drain resources from public schools
2. Fought Against Regulation of charter schools
From Idaho Statesman article Save public schools from the clutches of Betsy DeVos:
3. Did not send her own children to public schools
4. Donated large sums of money to The Foundation for Excellence in Education (a proponent of testing to determine everything from school grades to teacher employment to learning gains
From The Washington Post, A sobering look at what Betsy DeVos did to education in Michigan — and what she might do as secretary of education :
5. [she] isn’t an educator
6. No expertise in pedagogy, curriculum or school governance
7. [she’s] essentially a lobbyist
8. Conflict of interest (between her point of view regarding charters vs traditional public education)
From Bigthink.com, Is This the Most Dangerous Member of Trump's Cabinet?:
9. Promotes school vouchers
10. In favor of private, charter and . . . religious school training
Admittedly this is a completely biased view of Betsy Devos, but it certainly makes for interesting reading. What are your thoughts on Betsy Devos as Education Secretary? Leave your comments below and share with your colleagues.
I'm a Principal and an Entrepreneur. I'm the former owner of a food venture Hustling Hoagies, the author of the children's picture books Detective Dwayne Drake and the Alphabet Thief, Detective Dwayne Drake and The Case of the Mathematical Misfit and the ebook Making it as a Male Model in Michigan. I've worked professionally as a model and commercial actor......